German guns had been left , ownerless and tempting after heavy
fighting two days earlier (22nd August 1918), Wheeler, a sergeant
and a team of volunteers set of to get them. Instructions were left
to plaster the mound with smoke shell until Wheeler and his team
returned. They moved on reaching the guns without mishap.
They loaded the guns with great difficulty
and managed to get back to their battery with no casualties.
Throughout the night both German guns fired German gas shells
back to their rightful owners"